The New York Giants lost to the Cleveland Browns 20-10 in their first preseason game of the year.
Like every other preseason games there was a lot of good plays and a lot of bad. So let me break it down..
- No one got seriously hurt on neither team. That’s the biggest victory for both teams.
- We got to see Saquon Barkley finally in action he had a great 39 yard run to start the game. All aboard the hype train and I’m all for it. I really loved how patient he is waiting for the holes.
- Plenty of bad tape for the coaches to watch so this will make the giants a better team in the long run.
- Davis Webb performance looked exactly what you unfortunately would expect after not playing in a game like atmosphere in a year. He basically over threw every pass that wasn’t a check down to a wide receiver. Hopefully he regroups and shows a better performance next week versus the Lions.
- Alec Ogletree coverage on the first touchdown was really eye opening on if the blitz doesn’t get to the quarterback these plays can be backbreaking in the regular season. It looked like he was caught napping for a split second and that’s all David Njoku needed.
Baker Mayfield- The first pick of the draft showed tons of potential. Granted he played vs the second team defense but he looked posed and confident. He actually played longer then I expected. His final stat line was 11/20, 212 passing yards and two real nice touchdowns one to David Njoku and the other was to fellow rookie Antonio Callaway.
At the end of the day, this was the first pre season game. I think this is going to help them more in the long run since they all stayed healthy and plenty of game film to watch and hopefully correct. Talk to you guys next week!