This week the newest Marvel comics movie “Thor: Ragnarok” was released into theaters and like I do for all of them I went to see it. Once again the people at marvel studios made a great movie enjoyable for audiences of all ages. The combination of action, acting, special effects and witty banter make this movie well worth the price of admission. Due to my sports brain that is hard to turn off, every time a new Marvel movie comes out I feel the need to rank it among the other and it’s becoming increasingly harder to do. The reason for this, I found, is that I think they are all the same.
That may sound like a bad thing but I don’t mean it that way, The patriots basically have the same team every year and it works for them. What I mean by the same is there is a formula to these movies, the characteristics I used earlier to describe Thor can be used to describe all of the movies. Where they really get it right is in the casting, they nail it every time. It started with what I would argue is the best and most important casting decision in comic movies history, Robert Downey Jr. It’s possible I’m over stating it but that how much I enjoy him as iron man. In order for the MCU (Marvel cinematic universe) to work, it needed to get off to a good start and that’s what Iron Man did for them. This has been the biggest issue for the DC Comics films, getting themselves started, hopefully Wonder Woman did that for them. Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt( lot of Chris’) Samuel L. Jackson and the rest of the cast have done a phenomenal job in their MCU roles but Downey is the key.
While I love them all, I was able to come with a top 5 MCU movies
5. Iron Man- this movie will always hold a special place because it was the beginning and step up the whole universe very well.
4. Guardians of the Galaxy 2- you’ll see a theme with the next 4, I enjoy the team dynamic. Seeing the characters interact and grow with each other is one of my favorite parts of the universe. GOTG 1 and 2 are very close in my book but this one gets the edge because of the soundtrack and the opening scene alone.
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming- FINALLY THEY GOT SPIDER-MAN RIGHT! That’s not to say Toby McGuire and Andrew Garfield were bad in the role, but it seemed like McGuire nailed the Peter Parker part of spidey and Garfield nailed the Spider-Man part. Tom Holland nailed both (also there is a mike piazza flag in his room so this movie gets some bonus points)
2. The Avengers- Similarly to Iron Man this one holds a special place because it was the first movie that featured the entire team. The comedy, the action, the pure bad ass-ness, it’s impossible to not like this movie. I’d also be lying if I don’t get goosebumps every time I watch the hulks “I’m always angry” scene.
1. Captain America: Civil War- This is pretty much Avengers 3 but I don’t care what they call it, it’s amazing. The battle scene between the teams, the introductions of Spider-Man and Black Panther and of course the epic battle of Iron Man and Cap. Just an all around great movie. It gonna be tough for this to be topped at any point.
The next addition to the Universe will be Black Panther, for which the trailer looks amazing. We are half way through “phase 3” of the MCU that will end in 2019. I’ll definitely be seeing them all and enjoying the ride